Popular Post

Spotlight on One Brown Girl

Just yesterday I had a conversation with a childhood friend about how our lives had unfolded since we were wee babes.  When she asked me what my life had been like in the yearsssss since we'd seen one another, I found myself laughing.  You see, I'm one of those people that never knew exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up...but that at the same time wanted to be everything.  I wanted to be a ballerina that played the violin simultaneously (ha!), an English saddle horsewoman (too tall), a language translator, a writer, an entrepreneur, a This and a That.  Many things I accomplished, many I did not.  One of the things on my long list that I did not become was a worldwide fencing champion.  But France's Maureen Nisima did. 





Celebrating victory!  8 November 2010

(BERTRAND LANGLOIS/AFP/Getty Images)





Celebrating the gold!  8 November 2010

Photo Source:  france24.com





Athens Olympics 2004.  France defeated Canada 45 - 37 for the bronze.

(AP Photo/Michael Conroy) Photo Source: ctv.ca
On 8 November 2010, 29 year old Nisima of Bondy, Seine-Saint-Denis, France "defeated Hungary's Emese Szasz at the end of their Fencing World championships women's épée final at the Grand Palais in Paris" adding Gold (!) to her previous Silver and Bronze medals.  [TheGlobeandMail.com]  Wow.  I'm so happy for this Parisian Brown Girl athlete.  So so happy.  (Annoyed too, because I've been in Paris for just under a week and I can't believe I missed it.  I certainly would have loved to have seen this in person.  I know, I know, quit whining.)
There is not much info about this fencing phenom online (I don't blame her really), but for more information about the sport of fencing, please check out Wiki.
I wonder:  Is it too late for me to start fencing?  (Be gentle.)