Popular Post

Naples and a Vespa

Copyright Carla Coulson Italian Joy

Naples in the south of Italy is without a doubt one of my favourite Italian cities. The first time I planned a trip to Naples my Florentine friends thought I was mad. They had only bad things to say about Naples but I wanted to see it for myself. Naples has one of the most spectacular natural settings of any Italian city, the bay of Naples stretches around in a large semi circle and is crowned by Vesuvius. The old centre reeks with faded glory the ancient palazzi in soft pastel colours are crumbling. 

There are many places I have been in the world where I felt I have arrived too late. What had originally charmed travellers to visit a place no longer exists. When I arrived in Naples my gut reaction was that I wasn't too late.The tourists had been held at bay by the reputation of the local mafia, The Camorra and by the stories of petty theft.

The owner of my Pensione instructed me to put my camera in an old plastic shopping bag and leave all my jewellery at home. Only good things happened to me in Naples, I am yet to find a race as generous, fun-loving and resourceful as the Neapolitans.Everytime I asked to take a photo the Neapolitans gave me something, an orange, a padre pio statue or offered me a coffee. On the odd occassion I was even invited for a home-cooked lunch!

On my way back to my Pensione one day I ran in to this little angel reclining on a vespa.

Taken on my Nikon FE with tri-x film pushed a stop.

Have a great weekend. Carla x