Popular Post

GLUT

.
do you wonder who the starlets are that seem interchangeable today ? I know I have moved on (over 50) and though still I possess a nimble noodle- one Lively, one Partridge? It makes one Scarlet positively staid. I bemoan, whine, about the lack of inspiring interior design and decoration in the slick magazines that appear in the box. I flip through. Another month passes. No GLUT here. To the contrary, just the hand full of  magazines hanging in there. Moves of editors, this one to that. One happy thought is the newly placed Margaret Russell at the helm of Architectural Digest. Mitchell Owens follows her as AD's Special Projects Editor along with other notables, making for a AD revival.



 photograph by Cecil Beaton


But-
This fall sees yet another GLUT of designer portfolio books.
I thought That was last year,
But No-
it is This year.
Designers publishing another book, or new books from new designers. I think the saturation is due to the indiscriminate idea that THAT Designer is the one. Until THAT Designer is the one.
A book A day. Really.
I have declared strict guidelines to my own purchasing this fall-

No books about or by  living Designers  will I buy.


Consider.
It will narrow the field for you, not marginally but substantially. Relieve your list of repetitive rooms from one house, one project, co authored books by Novelists, indulgent ME look books, full page quips about CHIC.
No I didn't buy them, but I have perused a number of them very recently.

If your stacks are beginning to look like the corner bookstore, missing only the shiny shrink wrappings-

Consider.
What is going to forward creating the room You desire?
Find the answers by beginning with a careful edit of your stacks-that will go a long way & by applying the same good sense to your rooms you will make headway.

Here is what is on my list- with a few exceptions, I have followed MY RULES-to a point.*












* Bunny Williams is alive and quite well, I just saw photographs of her on NYSD.




This covers Books for the rest of 2010. 2011 will be another thing all together. This does not include some that I have already purchased- that said, I made some disappointing choices and some quite good ones, but No-not this Fall. There are some other wonderful things coming this fall in other categories I'll name later.

What have I omitted?
Lots-I know- & isn't that the point?
If I have dismissed a favorite of yours-do tell. 


 .