Popular Post

Summer Reading - Photographer's biogs in my beach bag

This summer I am taking the lives of other photographers with me on holidays! Call me mad but when I am not taking photos I love reading about others who are snapping or have been. So many wonderful insights are gained through the experiences of others. It helps with the struggle to know that those that have been there before you have made it out the other side with flying colours. Here's what I've just bought and will be with me at the sea-side.


The photo of Snowdon with his Hasselblad proved irresistible for me!! I flipped over to the back cover and bingo the bookshop had a sale. "How did a photographer who was a relentless playboy, un unashamed womaniser and a leather-clad motorcyclist marry the Queen's sister and become the Establishment figure Lord Snowdon? The brilliantly talented Antony Armstrong-Jones often humiliated Princess Margaret, yet he was compassionate to the causes he cared about. Now in his eighties, Snowdon still hasn't escaped the limelight, as more and more is revealed about his wild and intriguing life".


This isn't a new release but a goodie all the same. Helmut Newton is one my favourite photographers!and I have read his autobiography a couple of times. There are some interesting insights into his life and the way he worked and of course I was fascinated with his relationship with Alice Springs (June Newton), an Australian he met whilst working in Australia. Helmut lived in Australia during the war and started his career in Melbourne so for me he holds a special place in my photographers heart. I am taking it just to go over the chapters I love and hope some Helmut magic will rub off on me and my pics!

I love Diane Arbus and  her stunning photography that is often disturbing. I also  loved the film Fur that was loosely based on her life. I have this booked tucked in my suitcase for the holidays and I am looking forward to learning more about this trailblazer photographer.