Popular Post

Parenting Around the World

Babies are such a nice way to start people.

~Don Herold



If you know anything about OneBrownGirl.com® (OBG), you know that one of the goals I have is to find a unique way to document the lives of Brown Girls across the globe.  So when I was flipping through a magazine and saw a little blurb about French documentarian Thomas Balmès’ new film Babies (opening in theatres May 7, 2010), I saved the article just so that I would remember to write this post. I was instantly intrigued by Balmès attempt to "follow the vastly different first year of four infants from Mongolia, Namibia, Tokyo and San Francisco" because (1) I absolutely adore little honey buckets of baby joy and their honest and simple no-nonsense approach to life, and (2) because I find it terribly fascinating that someone is putting together a really cool piece about how parents from different cultures around the world raise their children.  "It's disturbing, it's funny, it's entertaining," says [Balmès].  "I didn't want the film to be cute," he explains.  I wanted to offer a reflection of the different ways of parenting around the world." To view the trailer, click here [Source: Entertainment Weekly]