Popular Post

David Bailey - Portrait work.

I think its about time to talk to my favourite photographer and my most inspirational, David Bailey. His career took off while he was a photographic assistant at the John French studio when he was contracted as a photographer for Vogue magazine. He can be recognised as one of the first 'celebrity photographer'. 



His work inspires me through his use of basic principals. I love how he keeps his images as simple as possible, not overdoing the image and causing clutter. The clean crisp lines, tones and composition are the main assets, i feel, to his work.  I really admire his use of strong direct lighting displayed in some of his portraits including this famous image of Jack Nicholson: 



"The pictures I take are simple and direct and about the person I'm photographing and not about me."- David Bailey. 

I really love the warmth that are in most of his images. He brings out the best in his models an tries to bring out their personality through his images, even though they are fashion images. This is really unique in a fashion photographer today, they are all about the clothing and or product, not incorporating the models personality or choosing the right model for the images. 














Amazing work.