Popular Post

Brown Girl Royalty (Part II)

Ever hear of Princess Angela of Liechtenstein?  A Panamanian Brown Girl of African descent, Princess Angela is the only black woman in a reigning European dynasty.  In January of 2000, she married Prince Maximilian of Liechtenstein, a gentleman 10 years her junior (go, Princess Angela!) and they have one son - Prince Alfons Constantin Maria born in 2001. 
Prior to marrying her prince, Princess Angela (née Angela Gisela Brown) studied fashion at New York's Parsons School of Design and later worked as a New York fashion designer and then as a fashion director for American designer Adrienne Vittadini.  (I remember reading somewhere that Princess Angela designed her own wedding dress.)  Since Hawaii is the only U.S. state that was once a kingdom with its own monarchy, it's kinda fun to see a Panamanian New Yorker do a Grace Kelley and live out her very own modern day Brown Girl fairy tale. 
And although she has definitely flown much further under the radar than Grace Kelley did when she married Rainier III, Prince of Monaco (pictured right), I don't really blame her, do you?  I know I've asked this before, but would you want to live your life under the scrutiny of the public?  I know I wouldn't.  But I do look forward to reading her memoirs should she ever write them.  As my friend Angela (no relation LOL) over at Melting Pot Moms said: "[I] would love to know the behind-the-scenes story...can't help but wonder how much this rocked the royal boat!"  Yanno?!?!?  Until we get the scoop, I say Cheers to Her Serene Highness, Princess Angela of Liechtenstein!