Popular Post

getting the Picture & what I like

.


Susan Gutfreund's Henri Samuel decorated Paris Drawing Room



The most beautiful rooms have something.
Incredible Art?  Architecture? Period Furnishings? Austere Modernism? Frivolity? Perfect Balance?

Is it Color that sets your heart on fire for a ROOM, or maybe Color sends you right into a Zen Zone?
Each of us has our own measuring stick-as it were- that defines Our most beautiful rooms.

Which of these speaks to you? Is it one criteria-
All of the above?
or
None of the above?



Samuel's own apartment 1960
photographed by Mark Shaw
(Nico and her two dachshunds)



For Me- Many of these elements can be present and the room is a huge let down. The "rules" can be executed to the utmost and still they fall Flat.
What do I look for? In my personal choices and professional design choices- I try to envision myself or my Client in the room: Daily routines, family dinners, Social Occasions, Dogs, Skateboards in the Hall- crayons on the floor-and in the carpet. Get the Picture?
A Room has to connect to the Dweller. Someone has to live there. Each time I pick up yet another magazine and flip through the pages- I ask myself-

Who lives here? or WHO Could possibly live here?
Inevitably someone does and they love it Whether We do or not.





It is all subjective. The two Samuel rooms are touchstones for my  own room.
An old house for me, worn floors, carpets- Please NO perfect floors-I die.
I can be perfectly relaxed in a formal setting- No not wearing period silks-but fleece, maybe cashmere-if I really dress.
I care absolutely Not if the door squeaks or floors creak- practically a prerequisite for my perfect room-
&
Yes- a dog or two must be happily ensconced-whether hogging the sofa or resting peacefully in his own little bed.
What makes You "tick" with a room? What makes your "grade" in a MAGAZINE room?

More on the ELEMENTS OF MY ROOM and how I found elements from these Samuel Rooms for my own room next week.


1st Samuel image from Town and Country
2nd Mark Shaw Samuel room from here