Popular Post

Marcello Mastroianni



I love Marcello Mastroianni. Slowly Francesco and I are working our way through the Marcello files! There are plenty of them. Marcello was discovered by the famous Italian director Luchino Visconti and went on to make 120 films. Thats a lot of films.
Marcello was handsome, charming and never let fame go to his head. Federico Fellini literally fell in love with Marcello and cast him in La Dolce Vita in 1960 and they made numerous films together including 8 and a half and the touching Ginger and Red. Marcello and Sophia Loren starred together in Matrimonio all'italian, divorzio all'italiana, ieri, oggi e domani.
The beautiful Marcello who gave so much to the Italian film industry and was nominated three times for an oscar died of cancer in 1996. He is famous for saying the following...

I don't understand why these Americans have to suffer so much to identify with their characters. Me, I just get up there and act. It's great fun. There's no suffering in it.

(When asked what keeps him going in his theatrical endeavors) In front of a camera, I feel solid, satisfied. Away from it I am empty, confused.

They come for you in the morning in a limousine; they take you to the studio; they stick a pretty girl in your arms... They call that a profession? Come on!
I only exist when I am working on a film.