Popular Post

Scanno by Mario Giacomelli and Henri Cartier-Bresson

Mario Giacomelli
Mario Giacomelli

Mario Giacomelli


Mario Giacomelli

Mario Giacomelli
Henri Cartier-Bresson
Henri Cartier-Bresson

I have wanted to visit Scanno in the Italian mountains of Abruzzo since the first time I discovered the photos of Henri Cartier-Bresson in the fifites with their magical composition and the extraordinary clothing of the women and men. A couple of years later the poetic photos of Italian photographer Mario Giacomelli stopped me in my tracks and bingo they were taking in the 60's in the same town. I always asked myself how Mario Giacomelli was lucky enough to find a bunch of dancing priests in the snow! The photos go down as some of the most innovative photos taken during the 60's in Italy with their high contrast black and white more a graphic than a photo. On Monday I am finally leaving for Scanno. I am sure life has moved on but I hope to find a little of the magic that these two great photographers found in this tiny mountain village in Abruzzo.